History

At the time of the merger that led to the paper's creation, Quincy T. Brown and George W. Tracy served as the publisher and editor, respectively. The owner, Mort L. Bixler sold the paper and left the territory.

At the beginning, the paper measured 13 by 20 inches and contained eight pages of five columns. The average circulation was 1,339. By 1900 it had grown to 18 by 24 inches. Over the course of the next few years, the paper experienced two changes in management. In 1897, Brown and Tracy sold the paper once again to Alkire and Jarboe.



At a Glance