Explore 265 Collections Matching
Newspapers published in Oklahoma by and for African-American communities.Added: November 2012.
Postcard photos of early day buildings, street scenes, parks, ranches, and oil and gas fields.Added: April 2019.
This paper served the town of Altus from ~ 1900 to 1917. In 1917, it merged with the weekly The Oklahoma Democrat and became the Times-Democrat.Added: May 2014.
Altus Weekly News
Starting in 1904, J.P. Orr published The Altus Weekly News every Thursday as an eight-page, five-column newspaper, also serving as editor.Added: May 2014.
American Indian Cultural Society Collection
Photographs of expositions, pow-wows, homecomings, festivals, and other cultural events.Added: April 2021.
American Red Cross of Central Oklahoma Collection
Photographs documenting more than a hundred years of Red Cross service to Oklahomans.Added: April 2021.
Jim Argo Collection
Spanning the years 1950 to 2008, this collection of more than 50,000 images covers communities across Oklahoma, along with their events, scenery, buildings, art, businesses, industries, and people. Photojournalist Jim Argo co-authored three books on Oklahoma and contributed photographs to another fourteen. He was inducted into the Oklahoma Journalism Hall of Fame in 1997.Added: July 2020.
This paper was a weekly publication established in June of 1887 and was devoted to the "Education, Progress, and Advancement of the Cherokee Nation." B. H. Stone was the editor and publisher.Added: November 2012.
W. C. Austin Project
Scenes of civil engineering and agricultural activities.Added: April 2021.
This weekly Republican-oriented newspaper was founded by William Johnstone in 1904. It became an afternoon daily in 1905. The papers featured local, territorial, and national news along with advertising.Added: March 2013.
These daily and weekly newspapers hail from the area encompassing Bartlesville, Osage and Washington counties published from 1903 to 1910. The papers include local, state, and national news as well as advertising.Added: March 2013.
Beaver County Democrat
Claiming to be the only Democratic paper in Beaver County, the Democrat served the area from 1906 until 1912.Added: May 2014.
Beaver County Republican
The Beaver County Republican was a weekly newspaper published in Beaver, Ecter, and Plainview in Oklahoma's panhandle, published from 1906 to 1918 by H. W. Hill.Added: September 2013.
The fluidity and dynamism of the Oklahoma Territory are mirrored in the history of the Beaver Herald, the state's oldest weekly newspaper.Added: April 2012.
Still published in Bixby to this day, the Bulletin has claimed political independence since it was first established in 1905.Added: January 2015.
The Blackwell Times first appeared on November 1, 1893. The first issue of the consolidated Times-Record was printed on March 1, 1894.Added: June 2019.
The Blair Progress
The Blair Progress was published in Greer County in the early 1900s until 1914. T. Milton Reid published and edited it until 1910 when J. B. Owen took over.Added: April 2017.
Branding Iron (Atoka, Okla.)
This weekly was the official organ of the Choctaw Nation. Because a title plate failed to arrive before publication, the Branding Iron debuted nameless on February 23, 1884 in Atoka.Added: May 2013.
Broadening Access to Books on Texas and Oklahoma
Out-of-print books related to Texas and Oklahoma history, made available as ebooks thanks to a Humanities Open Book Program grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities: Celebrating 50 Years of Excellence.Added: April 2017.
Albert D. Bryan Collection
Photographs of students and locations in Crescent and Guthrie, Oklahoma.Added: November 2019.
The Buffalo/May Bugle
The May Bugle began publication in May, Harper County, Oklahoma sometime around 1913, replacing the Buffalo Bugle. H. E. Sehy served as editor and publisher of the weekly paper.Added: April 2017.
Our Brother in Red
This religious newspaper was published in Muskogee, Indian Territory beginning in 1882 as well as Ardmore in 1897 and in McAlester in 1898.Added: May 2014.
The Black Dispatch
This weekly African American newspaper was established by Roscoe Dunjee circa 1915 in Oklahoma City and Guthrie. It included local, territorial, and national news along with advertising.Added: March 2013.
The Caddo Banner
J.Y. Schenck founded the Caddo Banner, which was published weekly from 1890 to 1895 in Caddo, Indian Territory.Added: May 2014.
The Calumet Chieftain served as the newspaper for the town of Calumet in northwestern Canadian County from 1908 to 1943. The paper featured local, state, and national news as well as advertising.Added: September 2013.
W. P. Campbell Collection
Portrait photographs of white men and of tribal members, along with group portraits and photographs of early buildings and dwellings.Added: April 2019.
Canadian Valley News
The Canadian Valley News began as a Republican publication in 1901, led by Chester A. Keyes in Jones, Oklahoma. It was the only paper published in the town.Added: July 2012.
The Carney Publishing Company printed the Carney Enterprise every Friday starting in 1898.Added: July 2012.
The Chandler News
The Chandler News was the first newspaper published in Chandler, Oklahoma from 1891 to 1909. Charles E. Hunter established, edited and published the paper every Saturday.Added: November 2012.
The Chandler Publicist
The Chandler Publicist began publication in 1894 as a weekly newspaper published by Mrs. W. H. French. This official paper of Lincoln County supported the People’s Party and prohibition.Added: March 2013.
The Chattanooga News
The Chattanooga News, also known as the Chattanooga Weekly News, served the town of Chattanooga, Oklahoma from the early 1900s until 1929.Added: May 2015.
Located in Rogers County, this community grew out of a railroad stop in 1881. Named by railroad official Charles Peach for his hometown in England, the paper provided the community with news and advertising.Added: September 2013.
This weekly newspaper served the Oklahoman town of Chelsea starting in 1896, transforming into the Chelsea Reporter after 1902. It provided local, territorial, and national news.Added: September 2013.
The Cherokee Advocate was published by the Cherokee Nation at Tahlequah, Indian Territory.Added: September 2021.
Cherokee County Democrat
Serving the heart of the Cherokee Nation in Oklahoma, The Cherokee County Democrat came to fruition as a result of a consolidation of The Tahlequah Herald and The Tahlequah Arrow.Added: August 2012.
Cherokee Strip Museum Collection
Scenes in and around Perry, Enid, and Bliss, Oklahoma.Added: November 2019.
Cherokee Strip Regional Heritage Center Collection
Images spanning some five decades of Oklahoma history.Added: April 2021.
Published in Darlington near present day El Reno and first published by the Cheyenne-Arapaho Agency in 1879, the paper was one of the few publications ever issued at an Indian agency.Added: April 2012.
Chickasaw Council House Museum Collection
Photographs dating from 1871 to 1992 that feature Chickasaw people and locations related to the tribe.Added: April 2019.
Chickasha Newspaper Collection
Like most communities that sprang up in the wake of the railways, Chickasha’s early days were flooded with the establishment of numerous newspapers. Many of these early newspapers were short-lived, but two publications rose to dominance from the crowded field: the Chickasha Daily Express and the Chickasha Star.Added: April 2017.
The Choctaw Herald
The Choctaw Herald was a weekly newspaper published out of Hugo, Oklahoma, as the successor of the Soper Herald. Jesse G. Curd was the editor and owner, publishing the paper until 1919.Added: August 2012.
The Choctaw News and The Wellston News
The Choctaw News began printing at Choctaw, Oklahoma in 1894. It was succeeded by The Wellston News in 1899, which is still printed to this day.Added: May 2015.
The Chronicles of Oklahoma
The Chronicles of Oklahoma is the scholarly journal published by the Oklahoma Historical Society. It is a quarterly publication and was first published in 1921.Added: October 2020.
The Cimarron News
The Cimarron News, or Cimarron Valley News, was a weekly first printed in Kenton in 1898 by Louis A. Wilkoff, who was editor and publisher and kept the paper politically independent.Added: May 2014.
Clara Luper Collection
This collection contains decades of correspondence, event programs, flyers, business information and church information collected by Civil Rights Leader Clara Luper.Added: August 2021.
Founded in 1895, The Claremore Messenger joined with the Daily Messenger c. 1900. After serving the county seat of Rogers County for many years, the paper ceased publication sometime in the 1930s.Added: October 2013.
The Claremore Progress, Claremore's first newspaper, was established in 1893 by cowboy Joe Klein.Added: October 2013.
Clarkson Fire Insurance Maps
Maps created as a product to help fire insurance companies assess the potential risks involved with underwriting policies. Dating from 1892 to 1931, these maps encompass a variety of communities across Oklahoma.Added: May 2019.
Cleveland County Enterprise
A continuation of the earlier newspaper the People's Voice, the Cleveland County Enterprise published weekly until 1917, when it became the weekly edition of the Daily Transcript.Added: November 2012.
Paul Cook Collection
Photographs of construction and interior details of the Scottish Rite Masonic Temple in Guthrie, Oklahoma. Images are from a scrapbook titled Cathedral Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite Masons of Oklahoma, Guthrie, Oklahoma, Hawk & Parr, Architects, James Stewart & Company, Inc., Contractors, 1921-1922.Added: November 2019.
The Cordell Beacon
The Democratic-leaning The Cordell Beacon began publication in 1909 on a weekly basis by the Beacon Publishing Company and served as the official county newspaper for Washita County.Added: October 2013.
Florence Correll Collection
Photographs from the Oklahoma Historical Society Research Division feature images of classroom education, vocational training, and extracurricular activities at Chilocco Indian School.Added: May 2019.
Edna Mae Couch Collection
Images of towns and rural scenes with an emphasis on Fort Supply, Oklahoma, and Western State Hospital.Added: November 2019.
The County Democrat
The County Democrat began publication in 1894 serving the town of Tecumseh in Pottawatomie County on a weekly basis.Added: April 2017.
The County Democrat-News billed itself as the successor to the Kiefer Chronicle. The Democrat-News purchased the Creek County Republican and the Tri-County News, giving it the largest circulation of any newspaper in Creek County.Added: July 2019.
Chester R. Cowen Collection
Photographs collected and taken by Chester Cowen that date from 1885 to 2006 with themes of buildings, people, and events.Added: April 2019.
Craig County Gazette
Newspapers published in Vinita, Craig County, Oklahoma beginning in 1902. Titles include Craig County Gazette, Bluejacket News, Centralia Register, Ketchum News, and Craig County Democrat.Added: November 2019.
Crescent City Courier
Owned and edited by E.F. Widner, the Crescent City Courier debuted on January 12, 1894. It was a Democratic-leaning paper and served Crescent City and Logan County.Added: May 2014.
Crowder City Guardian
The Democrat-leaning Crowder City Guardian was published in Crowder City from 1905 until 1916, measuring 11 by 16 inches.Added: May 2014.
Martha Curl Collection
Photographs of Woodward and Fort Supply, Oklahoma.Added: May 2019.
The Curtis Courier
The Curtis Courier was started by C. D. Baxter and Son in 1901. Independent in politics, the Courier was published Thursdays, and in 1907 Baxter reported a circulation of 600. It ceased circulation in 1927.Added: May 2015.
The Cushing Citizen and The Cushing Independent
From 1906, the Green Print Company published The Cushing Democrat on a weekly basis. The tabloid lasted until 1912 when it converted to The Cushing Citizen, which favored Republican politics.Added: May 2014.
The Cushing Herald
Cushing Herald began on July 5, 1895, in Cushing, Oklahoma until 1904, when its name changed to the State Herald. It was published by W.J. Rendall and operated independently in politics.Added: May 2014.
The Daily Ardmoreite
Established by several local businessmen in October 1893 in Ardmore, Carter County, the Ardmoreite was the first daily newspaper in Indian Territory.Added: November 2012.
Daily Democrat (Anadarko, Okla.)
This paper debuted in Anadarko, Oklahoma Territory on September 30, 1901. Dubbed the “The Official Paper of Anadarko", it changed names and publishers several times in its 14-year lifespan.Added: November 2012.
Daily Oklahoma State Capital
Established in 1889 by Frank H. Greer in Winfield, Kansas, the paper found its home in Guthrie when he relocated. The paper, billed as the first newspaper printed in Oklahoma Territory, ran until 1911.Added: June 2012.
Arch Dixon Collection
Photographs from the Oklahoma Historical Society Research Division feature airplanes, flight, sports, and people.Added: May 2019.
Mat Duhr Collection
Photographs from the Oklahoma Historical Society Research Division include many images of Native Americans.Added: May 2019.
The Duke Times
W. F. Kane founded the weekly in 1908. The paper served Duke from 1908 and into the 1920s. There is no indication this paper supported any political, religious or ethnic groups.Added: May 2015.
Bob Duncan Negative Collection
Images featuring street scenes, automobile and industrial accidents, and Miss Universe contestants.Added: November 2019.
Durant Weekly News
The Durant Weekly News appeared circa 1901, in Durant, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory. It was an eight-page Democratic paper, issued on Fridays and the result of a consolidation of the Durant Times and the Durant Eagle.Added: November 2012.
The Drumright Derrick
These newspapers, published in Drumright, began in 1913 in daily and weekly editions. Titles include The Drumright Derrick, The Evening Derrick, and The Drumright Evening Derrick.Added: March 2013.
Eastern Oklahoma State College Newspapers
Established by the first state legislature in 1908, Eastern Oklahoma State College first opened its doors in Wilburton, Oklahoma, on January 11, 1909, as the Oklahoma School of Mines and Metallurgy. Several publications have been published by the college, including The Mountaineer and The Eastern Statesman.Added: August 2022.
The Edmond Enterprise was a ten-page newspaper serving Oklahoma County, specifically the Edmond community. Edward R. Felt served as the first editor of the paper, which began publication in 1901.Added: March 2013.
The Edmond Sun-Democrat
The Edmond Sun-Democrat was an Edmond, Oklahoma-based newspaper founded in 1889 that went through multiple changes in name and party affiliation.Added: March 2013.
William Edson Photograph Collection
Photographs dating from 1889-1980. Locations in and around Enid, Oklahoma, are emphasized.Added: May 2019.
El Reno American
These weekly newspapers were published in El Reno, Oklahoma from 1905 to 1988. A daily edition was published from 1901 to 1910.Added: October 2013.
The El Reno Democrat
The El Reno Democrat was first published as the Oklahoma Daily Democrat in 1891. The Democrat Publishing Company published the paper, which claimed to be the official city and county newspaper.Added: August 2012.
James Edwin Kelly purchased the original paper in 1903 and combined it with Eldorado Light to create the current periodical. The Eldorado Courier remains in print to this day.Added: May 2015.
Jennie Elrod Collection
Photographs of birds, people, and events in and around Okmulgee, Oklahoma in the 1920s.Added: May 2019.
This newspaper ran from September 1901 until 1989 in Enid, Garfield County. It was published on a daily basis with the exception of Saturdays and Sundays by Eagle Printing and Publishing Company.Added: March 2013.
The Enid Echo
The Enid Echo was established in 1899-1900 in Enid, Oklahoma, issued every Wednesday.Added: August 2012.
Enid Weekly Wave
The Enid Weekly Wave was started by J. L. Isenburg, the editor, and publisher, in 1893, the first substantial paper in Enid.Added: November 2012.
The first edition of the Fairland News was issued in May of 1892 and combined with The Fairland Herald in 1914 to create The Fairland News-Herald. It ceased publication in 1917.Added: November 2012.
The Farmers’ Champion appeared November 14, 1912, in Elgin, Comanche County, Oklahoma, with the motto, “Free—Fearless—Progressive.”Added: August 2013.
T. B. Ferguson Collection
Photographs dating from 1883 to 1950.Added: May 2019.
John B. Fink Collection
Photographs and postcards of street scenes, buildings, transportation, mining, and historic sites in and around Oklahoma City, as well as several cities in eastern Oklahoma.Added: November 2019.
Sam Flood Collection
Photographs of people, places, and events.Added: May 2019.
Grant Foreman Collection
Photographs from the collection of noted Oklahoma historian, Grant Foreman.Added: May 2020.
Fort Supply Republican
Although the original publication date remains unknown, the Fort Supply Republican began publishing weekly sometime during the early 20th century. The Finch & Herschberger publishing company ran the Republican-leaning newspaper until 1929.Added: April 2017.
The Foss Enterprise was published on a weekly basis (every Friday) starting in 1901 by George W. Fenley. H.M. Diamond edited and published the paper, which measured 20 by 26 inches and spanned four pages.Added: May 2014.
Governor Frank Frantz Papers
Documents and newspaper clippings related to Frank Frantz who became governor of Oklahoma Territory in 1906.Added: November 2019.
Weekly newspaper published in Garber, Oklahoma from 1899 to 1949.Added: March 2013.
The Gayly Oklahoman
First published in 1983, the Gayly is still published today and covers LGBT+ community topics as well as state and regional news. RD-T media oversees publication of the paper.Added: May 2016.
George I. Gird Collection
Aerial photographs of Oklahoma cities and rural properties.Added: November 2019.
The Granite Enterprise was published by James Scarborough in 1900 on a weekly basis. J. W. Ryder served as managing editor. The paper did not support any political parties when it was first founded.Added: May 2014.
Greer County Sun and Democrat
Weekly newspapers published in Mangum, Greer County, Oklahoma, including the Greer Weekly Sun, the Mangum Sun-Monitor, the Mangum Weekly Star And The Greer County Democrat, and The Greer County Democrat.Added: May 2014.
Griffin Memorial Hospital Collection
Photographs of facilities, grounds, staff, and activities at this psychiatric hospital in Norman Oklahoma. Most images are from the 1950s.Added: November 2019.
Griffith-Video Independent Theatres Collection
Interior and exterior views of movie theatres.Added: November 2019.
The Guthrie Daily Leader
In 1892, cowboy-turned-teacher Roy Hoffman established the Daily Leader in Guthrie, Logan County, Oklahoma Territory.Added: November 2012.
The Guymon Herald was published weekly on Thursdays from 1891 until 1925, and served as the main paper of the town of Guymon in the Oklahoma panhandle.Added: May 2014.
Jewell L. Hardy Collection
Portraits of Choctaw men, women, and children.Added: May 2019.
Juanita Hardy Collection
Photographs of sand storms rolling in.Added: May 2019.
Lee Harkins Collection
Photographs from the collection of Oklahoma journalist and publisher Lee Harkins.Added: May 2019.
Victor Harlow published the first issue of Harlow’s Weekly on Aug 17, 1912. The paper was distributed around the nation until it ceased publication in January 1940.Added: November 2019.
William F. Harn Collection
Photographs from the Oklahoma Historical Society Research Division include landscapes and people.Added: May 2019.
Harper County Democrat
The Harper County Democrat began publication in 1907 with E. L. Adams as editor and publisher. The paper adhered to views of the Democratic Party.Added: April 2017.
John Harrah Collection
Documents related to Cherokee assistance to the Union Army.Added: November 2019.
Ruth Harris Collection
Photographs showing construction and architectural details of Oklahoma City's Federal Post Office and Courthouse from 1917 to 1919.Added: May 2019.
Since 1890, this newspaper has served the Hennessey community through weekly distribution of printed information.Added: November 2012.
The Hennessey Eagle
The Hennessey Eagle was owned by the Hennessey Publishing Company and edited by J. E. Hutchinson. The paper was issued every Thursday and claimed to be independent in politics.Added: August 2012.
The Hennessey Kicker
The Hennessey Kicker was started in 1893 and was issued on Saturdays by the Bert Campbell Printing Company.Added: July 2012.
The Herald-Sentinel (Cordell and Cloud Chief, Okla.)
The Herald-Sentinel was published in Cloud Chief, Oklahoma Territory from 1893 until 1900 and published in Cordell, Oklahoma from 1905 to 1919 on Fridays.Added: October 2013.
Heye Foundation Collection
Photographs of Indian Territory with an emphasis on the northeastern section.Added: November 2019.
Hobart Democrat Chief
Reflective of the changes in the Oklahoma town of Hobart, the Democrat Chief began publication in 1906.Added: October 2013.
The Hobart News-Republican
The Hobart News-Republican began as the Hobart Republican in August of 1901, spanning the area in and around Hobart in Kiowa County.Added: May 2014.
Charles Turner Hocker Collection
Photographs from the Oklahoma Historical Society Research Division feature people, buildings, and vehicles.Added: May 2019.
The Hollis and Harmon County Tribune
The Harmon County Tribune, the official newspaper of Harmon County, was published in Hollis from 1914 to 1922.Added: June 2014.
Hollis Post Herald
J.B. Randle published the Hollis Post-Herald from 1906 until 1922, serving the southern Oklahoma town of Hollis and the surrounding areas.Added: October 2013.
Hominy, Oklahoma, Newspapers
Newspapers published in Hominy, Osage County, Oklahoma. Titles include Hominy News, Hominy Republican, Hominy News Republican, Osage Eagle, Hominy Herald, Hominy Journal, and Hominy News. Progress.Added: November 2019.
The Hooker Advance
Hooker Advance began February 19, 1904. It was a predominately Republican newspaper, edited and published by Jesse S. Moffitt. The paper is still in circulation in the town and Texas County.Added: June 2014.
The Indian Advocate (Sacred Heart, Okla.)
This paper was published by the Benedictine order at the Sacred Heart Abbey in Indian Territory near present-day Shawnee in 1888 by Father D. Ignatius, the second and last of the Prefect Apostolic in Oklahoma.Added: November 2012.
Indian Chieftain (Vinita, Oklahoma)
The Indian Chieftain, one of the largest and most influential newspapers in the Cherokee Nation, was established on September 22, 1882, at Vinita, in Craig County, Indian Territory.Added: July 2013.
The Enterprise ran in Indianola, Pittsburg County, Oklahoma every Friday starting in 1904. B.W. Williams facilitated the paper's publication.Added: June 2014.
Ray Jacoby Collection
Photographs by Ray Jacoby whose studio specialized in commercial and aerial photography in the mid-twentieth century.Added: April 2019.
The Kiowa Breeze
The Kiowa Breeze was published for the first time on March 29, 1901, reaching a circulation of roughly 300 people by 1907.Added: June 2014.
Kiowa and Swanson County Democrat
Charles M. Wilson and Morris A. Crooks established the Kiowa County Democrat in 1905. The paper issued weekly on Thursdays in Kiowa and Swanson counties.Added: May 2015.
Amy Gerson Kohn Collection
Photographs from the Oklahoma Historical Society Research Division.Added: May 2019.
The Konawa Chief-Leader
G. E. Nichols and the Chief Publishing Company started the Konawa Chief in November 1904. The paper served Kiowa, Indian Territory and included local, territorial, and national news and advertising.Added: August 2012.
Photographs of performers, sets, and events. Includes images of presidents Dwight D. Eisenhower and Harry S. Truman visiting Oklahoma.Added: May 2019.
Ed Chief La Motte Collection
Photographs of Native Americans at Camp Wolf in Fort Sill, Oklahoma, 1923.Added: May 2019.
This pioneering paper of Comanche County was established in 1903 as a successor to the newspaper Elgin Eagle. The paper had both daily and a weekly edition and affiliated with the Democratic Party.Added: November 2012.
Anna Wox Lewis Collection
Photographs of Native Americans and their homes.Added: November 2019.
Lexington and Cleveland County Leader
Founded June 4, 1891, as a Democratic paper, the County Leader survived until the 1920s.Added: November 2012.
The Lincoln County Journal and The Stroud Star
This paper served the town of Stroud from 1898 to 1907. In 1907 the Stroud Star and Lincoln County Journal joined into a single publication that lasted until sometime in 1910.Added: May 2015.
The Logan County News
The Logan County News was first published by J. H. Maher in 1903. The eight-page, six-column weekly newspaper was published every Thursday, with H. C. Jent credited as editor and proprietor.Added: June 2014.
Founded in Luther, Oklahoma County, in 1899, the Register was published and edited by G. W. Baer. The paper affiliated with the Republican Party and switched hands in 1906.Added: March 2013.
The Langston City Herald (Langston City, O.T.)
The Herald was the first weekly African-American newspaper in Oklahoma Territory. Its widespread circulation throughout the South/Southeast was vital to African-American settlement in the area.Added: August 2013.
The Manchester Journal
The Manchester Journal was founded in 1893 as a politically independent newspaper. The paper continued to serve the Manchester area until 1928 when it ceased publication.Added: May 2015.
These newspapers served the Mangum, Oklahoma area. The Star merged with several other titles during its long run.Added: May 2015.
Mannford Area Newspapers
Newspapers from the Mannford, Oklahoma area have been digitized in partnership with the Keystone Crossroads Historical Society.Added: June 2022.
The Maramec News began in 1912 in the town of Maramec, Pawnee County, Oklahoma. It was published by George M. Caldwell on a weekly basis.Added: October 2013.
Richard McConkey Photo Collection
With emphasis on the Enid area, these images span some five decades of Oklahoma history.Added: April 2021.
Semi-weekly newspaper published in Idabel, Oklahoma from 1907 to 1969.Added: November 2012.
William A. McGalliard Historical Collection
Photographs and documents related to William A. McGalliard, photographer, author, reporter, and historian.Added: May 2020.
The Medford Patriot
The Medford Patriot began in 1901 and was published until 1913. Its geographic coverage included Medford and Grant County, and it was published on a weekly basis by Palmer & Son.Added: October 2013.
The Medford Star
The Medford Star was published in Medford, Grant County from the 1890s until 1913. Its geographic coverage included Gibbon, Grant County as well as Medford.Added: October 2013.
John Melton Collection
Photographs from the Oklahoma Historical Society Research Division show people, events, and places.Added: May 2019.
Z.P. Meyers/Barney Hillerman Photographic Collection
Photographs of people, places, and products from the first half of the twentieth century. The collection emphasizes Oklahoma City street scenes, skylines, individual buildings, and aerial views.Added: April 2019.
The Mulhall Enterprise was published by Willis B. Ehrman starting in 1894. It circulated every Friday with D. C. Dwinnell as the editor and James H. Scarr as the general manager.Added: June 2014.
Museum of the Ozarks History Collection
Photographs of people and scenes in and around Oklahoma City.Added: November 2019.
The Muskogee Cimeter (Muskgoee, I.T.)
The paper was founded in Muskogee, Indian Territory in 1901. The publication held a distinctly Republican point of view, with a focus on educating its readership in politics benefitting African Americans.Added: November 2012.
Muskogee Daily News
Newspapers published in Muskogee, Oklahoma. Titles include Muskogee Daily News and Muskogee Press.Added: November 2019.
This newspaper was published in Muskogee, Indian Territory by Phoenix Print Company from 1901 until 1971.Added: June 2014.
Native American Newspapers
These Oklahoma newspapers were published by and for Native American communities. The collection includes different titles serving various tribes within Oklahoma's Indian territories.Added: November 2012.
Will T. Nelson Collection
Photographs related to Will T. Nelson.Added: November 2019.
The New Era
The New Era was started by J. M. Kimball, who acted as the publisher. The paper was published every Thursday in Davenport, Oklahoma. In 1916 the title changed to The Davenport New Era.Added: November 2012.
The New State
This Haileyville newspaper The New State, created in 1905, earned its name due to creators' anticipation of Oklahoma’s shift from Indian Territory into statehood.Added: June 2014.
Norman Daily Transcript
The Norman Daily Transcript began in 1898, operated by Ed P. Ingle. The newspaper's mission focused on staying dedicated to the progression of Norman as well as the prosperity of the residents.Added: November 2012.
The Democrat Topic formed after the consolidation of Territorial Topic and the State Democrat. During the merger, Quincy T. Brown and George W. Tracy served as the publisher and editor respectively.Added: November 2012.
Norman Transcript (Weekly)
The weekly Norman Transcript was first published in July 1889. This paper, like its daily counterpart, was created by Ed P. Ingle and documented the growth and progress of Norman.Added: November 2012.
The Okarche Times
The Okarche Times began publication in 1892. Owner Charles E. Hunter created the paper after he sold The Chandler News and moved into the Cheyenne and Arapaho country newly plotted for settlement.Added: May 2017.
Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce Collection
Views of people, places, and activities in and around Oklahoma City.Added: November 2019.
Oklahoma City Pointer
The Oklahoma City Pointer preceded the Free Daily Pointer, started by brothers Howard and William Tucker in 1902.Added: November 2012.
The Oklahoma City Times
Long since incorporated into the Oklahoman, the Oklahoma City Times first published in 1888. The paper had worldwide circulation,Added: March 2013.
Oklahoma Conservation Historical Society
Photographs documenting natural resource conservation efforts in Oklahoma.Added: April 2020.
Oklahoma Czech Newspapers
These newspapers were published by and for Czech communities.Added: November 2012.
Oklahoma Department of Tourism Collection
Photographs of tourist destinations and events in Oklahoma.Added: May 2019.
Oklahoma Department of Transportation Collection
Drawn from a larger tangible collection at the Oklahoma Historical Society Photo Archives, these images feature roads, bridges, drainages, rights-of-way, buildings, and people.Added: April 2019.
Oklahoma Digital Newspaper Program
The Oklahoma Digital Newspaper Program exists to fulfill the goal of digitizing and making freely available as many Oklahoma-related newspaper titles as possible.Added: April 2012.
Oklahoma Eagle Publishing Company
The Oklahoma Eagle is the oldest continuously published Black newspaper in Oklahoma and has served as the voice of Tulsa’s Black community since it was first issued in 1922.Added: May 2021.
The weekly Oklahoma Farmer, the "One Down-to-Date Farm Paper of Oklahoma and Ind. Terr.," was established in Guthrie, Oklahoma Territory, in 1890.Added: July 2012.
Oklahoma Farmer and Laborer (Guthrie, Okla.)
The Oklahoma Farmer and Laborer, of Guthrie and Sapulpa, Oklahoma, was published by the Oklahoma Farmer and Laborer Company beginning in 1909.Added: November 2012.
Oklahoma German Newspapers
Newspapers published in Oklahoma by and for German communities. Titles include Der Courier, Oklahoma Vorwarts, Zions=Bote, Oklahoma Volksblatt, and Oklahoma Neuigkeiten.Added: November 2012.
The Oklahoma Guide
The Oklahoma Guide was the first African-American newspaper founded in Oklahoma. The paper kept a close watch and reported on injustices in both the Oklahoma and Indian Territories.Added: August 2012.
Oklahoma Historical Society Friends of the Archive Collection
Postcards and photographs of Oklahoma scenes.Added: November 2019.
Oklahoma Historical Society Indian Territory Maps
19th and 20th century Indian Territory maps.Added: June 2021.
Oklahoma Historical Society Manuscript Collection
A variety of records drawn from the larger tangible manuscript archives held by the Oklahoma Historical Society.Added: May 2021.
Oklahoma Historical Society Monographs
Books and eBooks on Oklahoma topics.Added: May 2019.
Oklahoma Historical Society Photograph Collection
These photographs document individual portraits, street scenes, and pictures of landmarks and buildings taken between 1890 and 1920 across the state of Oklahoma.Added: June 2014.
Oklahoma Historical Society Prints Collection
Illustrations from periodicals.Added: November 2019.
Oklahoma Labor Newspapers
Newspapers published in the interest of labor unions and practices in the region. Titles include The Farmers’ Union Advocate, Oklahoma Farmer and Laborer, Oklahoma Labor Unit and The Labor Review.Added: November 2012.
Oklahoma Leader (Guthrie, Oklahoma)
The Oklahoma Weekly Leader was established in 1893 in Guthrie, Oklahoma and was the weekly edition of the Guthrie Daily Leader.Added: November 2012.
Oklahoma Leader (Oklahoma City, Oklahoma)
The Socialist newspaper The Oklahoma Leader ran weekly in Oklahoma City from 1918 to 1928.Added: November 2012.
Oklahoma Miner (Krebs, Okla.)
Serving the mining town of Krebs, Pittsburg County since 1912, the Democratic weekly provided citizens with local and national news. It ran until the 1920s and is still the only paper published in Krebs.Added: November 2012.
The Oklahoma Neuigkeiten, translated as “Oklahoma News,” was a Democratically-affiliated German weekly started in 1902 in Perry, Oklahoma.Added: August 2012.
The Oklahoma News began publication in 1906. The newspaper served Oklahoma City until 1939.Added: May 2017.
The Oklahoma Post
The Oklahoma Post consisted of both a daily and weekly paper. Both were published by the Post Publishing Company and edited by J. E. Jenkins.Added: March 2013.
Oklahoma Publishing Company Photography Collection
The Oklahoma Publishing Company, the parent company of many prominent Oklahoma newspapers, amassed a significant collection of photographs that span more than a century. The wide variety of photographs accompanied stories in the newspapers.Added: June 2014.
Oklahoma Publishing Company - WKY Radio and Television Collection
Images of staff, sets, celebrities, and audiences.Added: May 2019.
Oklahoma Religious Newspapers
Religious organizations and denominations published these newspapers, and much of the content regularly featured religious instructional content.Added: November 2012.
The Oklahoma Representative
The Oklahoma Representative, established in 1894, was sponsored by the People’s Party out of Guthrie, Oklahoma.Added: August 2012.
Oklahoma Socialist Newspapers
Newspapers published in Oklahoma in the interest of the Socialist party. Titles include: The Lancet, The Oklahoma Leader, and the Lincoln County Socialist.Added: November 2012.
Oklahoma State Register
The Oklahoma State Register was established in 1891 in Guthrie, Oklahoma. The paper was connected to the People's Party and was used to promote their policies.Added: July 2012.
In 1889, J. J. Burke and Elmer E. Brown leased the Oklahoma City Journal from A. C. and W. W. Scott and later bought the operation. Hamlin W. Sawyer bought the Oklahoma City Times and the papers were consolidated into the Oklahoma City Times-Journal.Added: August 2012.
The Oklahoma Vorwärts began publication in 1900 and was printed in German by the Vorwwaerts Publishing Co. and Julius Hussy.Added: April 2017.
The Orlando Clipper was printed in 1906 and published by D. B. Payne and served the town of Orlando from 1906 until 1935.Added: May 2015.
Orlando Herald and Orlando Weekly Herald
The Weekly Orlando Herald was printed in 1892 with W. B. Ehrman as publisher. The Weekly Orlando Herald ended its publication in 1898 and was replaced by The Orlando Herald.Added: May 2015.
The Osage Journal
The Osage Journal began in 1897 with T. J. Leahy as its publisher. It was printed every Thursday with a Democratic point of view, until August 27, 1943.Added: June 2019.
Weekly Oklahoma State Capital
The Weekly Oklahoma State Capital was published in Guthrie, Logan County, and claimed to be “The First Paper Published in Oklahoma.”Added: June 2014.
Frank Parman Collection
Photographs and postcards from the collection of Frank Parman, co-founder of Point Riders Press and Individual Artists of Oklahoma (IAO).Added: May 2019.
Pauls Valley Democrat
The Pauls Valley Democrat, a continuation of the Pauls Valley Sentinel was founded in 1898 by Miles Lasater.Added: December 2012.
People’s Voice (Norman, Oklahoma)
The People’s Voice was founded in Norman, Oklahoma in August 1892. The paper ceased publication in 1910 but continued under the name of the Cleveland County Enterprise.Added: November 2012.
The Enterprise-Times was established in 1895 in Perry, Oklahoma, issued as both a weekly and daily issue.Added: August 2012.
Perry Parades Photograph Collection
Early 20th century postcards and photos depicting street scenes, floats, decorated buggies and automobiles, and marching bands in parades in Perry, Oklahoma.Added: April 2021.
Pittsburg County Guardian
The Pittsburg County Guardian was published in McAlester, Oklahoma from 1905 until 1924.Added: March 2013.
The Prague Record was established in April of 1917 as a weekly newspaper in Prague, Oklahoma. Frank S. Nipper bought the paper and functioned as editor.Added: March 2013.
Established in 1893 in Hennessey, Oklahoma Territory. In 1895, the owner of the Hennessey Press purchased the subscription books of the Hennessey Democrat and consolidated the papers.Added: August 2012.
Haskell Pruett Collection
Photographs from the collection of Haskell Pruett, founder of Oklahoma A&M's Department of Photography.Added: May 2019.
Quinlan Mirror was a weekly Republican paper that began in 1903. In 1907 it had around 500 subscribers. It was the official paper of Quinlan.Added: June 2014.
Ralston Independent, also known as the Independent, began on December 1, 1910 in Ralston, Pawnee County, Oklahoma.Added: June 2014.
The Ralston Tribune began publication in 1916 with O. L. Browning as the editor and publisher. The weekly ceased in 1921.Added: May 2017.
The Red Rock Opinion
On July 31, 1903, A. E. Wood started the Red Rock Opinion out of Red Rock in Noble County. The publication held connections to the Republican Party.Added: November 2012.
Renfrew’s Record began publication in 1902 by James P. Renfrew after he left his editor position at another Alva-based newspaper, the Alva Review to start his own publication.Added: April 2017.
Edd Roberts Collection
Photographs of agricultural activities and events in Oklahoma in the first half of the twentieth century. The Edd Roberts Collection represents the most extensive coverage of agricultural topics in the OHS collections.Added: April 2019.
The Rocky News
The Rocky News began publication in 1914 in Rocky, Washita County as a weekly, published by W. S. Quinn and ceasing in 1925.Added: April 2017.
Rose State College Newspapers
Rose State College is a public, two-year community college located on SE 15th Street in Midwest City. Since February 24, 1972, campus news has been covered by the student newspaper, the 15th Street News.Added: August 2022.
Kent Ruth Collection
Photographs documenting people, weather conditions, parades, and other activities.Added: May 2019.
Meta Chestnutt Sager Collection
Photographs from the collection of Meta Chestnutt Sager who participated in the 1889 land run and then established El Meta Bond College in Silver City.Added: May 2019.
Sapulpa Area Newspaper Collection
Newspapers published in and around Sapulpa, Creek and Tulsa Counties, Oklahoma. Titles include: County Democrat News, Creek County Republican, Sapulpa Herald, Sapulpa Light, Sapulpa Free Press, and Sapulpa Democrat.Added: June 2019.
The Sapulpa Democrat was first published on March 20, 1901, within the Creek Nation in Indian Territory. In 1908, the title was changed to The Sapulpa Weekly Democrat. The Sapulpa Daily Democrat was established in 1907. The Sapulpa Evening Democrat began in 1911.Added: June 2019.
The Sapulpa Herald was founded on September 14, 1914, by John W. Young, previously the business manager of the Sapulpa Evening Democrat, and O. S. Todd. The word “daily” was dropped from the title in 2017, and in 2019 Wednesday and a weekend edition were published.Added: June 2019.
The Sapulpa Light
William Henry Platts published the first issue of The Sapulpa Light. In 1909 when the daily edition became the Sapulpa Evening Light. By 1913 the Sapulpa Evening Light had been replaced by the Sapulpa Daily Argus, which was followed by the Sapulpa American in 1917.Added: March 2013.
The Sayre Headlight-Journal
The Sayre Headlight started in Sayre, Oklahoma in 1899 and stayed in publication until 1943. The paper supported the Republican Party.Added: May 2015.
The Searchlight was published by James Kirkwood twice a week. It also served as the official paper of the Oklahoma-Indian Territory State Association, as well as the Sheriff’s Association of Oklahoma.Added: June 2014.
Sentinel News-Boy and Sentinel Leader
The Sentinel News-Boy was published from 1904 until 1910 in Sentinel, Washita County. Its successor, the Sentinel News-Boy, has been published from 1910 to the present on a weekly basis.Added: June 2014.
Shawnee Daily News-Herald
Charles Barrett created the daily edition of the Shawnee Herald in 1902. In 1911, it merged with The Shawnee News to become The Shawnee News-Herald, and, later, The Shawnee Daily News-Herald.Added: November 2012.
Kenny Sivard Collection
Photographs of communities in Southeast Oklahoma from the early 1900s to the 1960s.Added: October 2019.
Sorosis Club of Oklahoma City Collection
Portraits of Sorosis Club of Oklahoma City members, c.1947. Founded in 1909, the club offered enrichment classes to its members and raised money for many charitable causes. The club disbanded in 2001.Added: May 2019.
Clayton E. Soule Collection
Photographs taken by Clayton E. Soule for the Oklahoma Gas & Electric Company. Included are Soule's photographs of the State Fair of Oklahoma, street scenes from various communities, and events.Added: April 2019.
The Southwest World
Founded in 1900, the Southwest World's three-year lifespan covered news in the Guthrie area. The paper was published weekly and remained politically independent.Added: July 2012.
Horace Speed Collection
Photographs related to the life and family of Horace Speed, first U.S. District Attorney for Oklahoma Territory.Added: November 2019.
St. Anthony School of Nursing Collection
Class photographs of nurses graduating in selected years from 1919 to 1983.Added: May 2019.
State Board of Public Affairs
Photographs of construction of the Oklahoma State Capital in Oklahoma City, c.1915-1916.Added: November 2019.
The State Journal (Mulhall, Oklahoma)
The State Journal was started in 1902 by Tom B. Woosley in Mulhall as a succeeding title to The Orlando Herald. The State Journal lasted until 1919 when it converted into the Mulhall State Journal.Added: November 2012.
State Museum Collection
Photographs and postcards featuring Oklahoma people and locations.Added: November 2020.
The State Sentinel was established in 1904 in Henryetta, Oklahoma and was moved to Stigler fifteen months later. The paper was issued on Fridays and measured 15 by 22 inches with eight pages.Added: November 2012.
Named for a nearby creek, the town of Stillwater was settled by pioneers after the opening of the Unassigned Lands in Oklahoma Territory on April 22, 1889. The weekly Stillwater Democrat merged with the Stillwater Advance to create the Advance-Democrat on September 7, 1905.Added: June 2019.
The Stroud Democrat, established in 1910, was the successor to the Lincoln County Journal.Added: November 2012.
Sturms Magazine Collection
Photographs dating from 1890 to 1919.Added: May 2019.
The Talihina Tribune
This weekly newspaper served the town of Talihina, which was located in Indian Territory until 1907 when Oklahoma became a state, from 1905 to 1918.Added: November 2012.
Pierre Tartoue Collection
Photographs of Native Americans.Added: November 2019.
Mary Taylor Album Collection
Photographs from the Oklahoma Historical Society Research Division show people and places.Added: May 2019.
The Tecumseh Republican began in 1892 to serve the town of Tecumseh. The paper ran until 1937 when it ceased and gave way to the Tecumseh Standard.Added: May 2015.
The Terlton Enterprise
Created by Miss L. M. King in Terlton, Pawnee County, Oklahoma from 1912 until 1916, this newspaper published on a weekly basis. The paper identified as progressive and ceased publication in 1916.Added: June 2014.
The Texhoma Argus began publication in 1908, driven by Joe L. Buckley in Texhoma, Texas County.Added: June 2014.
The Texhoma Times
The Texhoma Times was published on a weekly basis from 1904 to 1983. The Texhoma Times was established by J. E. Kerr in September of 1904.Added: June 2014.
Mabel Tompkins Collection
Photographs documenting Mabel Tompkins' life as a horsewoman and Wild West Show star.Added: May 2019.
Tulsa Daily World
The Tulsa Daily World appeared on September 14, 1905, in Tulsa, Indian Territory. Its successor, the Tulsa World continues to be the second largest newspaper in Oklahoma.Added: November 2012.
The Tulsa Daily Democrat was published daily save for Sundays by William Stryker from 1904 until 1914.Added: October 2013.
Originally published in 1912, the paper functioned as a voice for Democratic African-American interests. In 1913, the paper moved to Tulsa, and the paper continued in its various iterations until 1961.Added: April 2012.
The Tyrone Observer
Tyrone Observer began May 5, 1904 in Tyrone, Oklahoma. It was published every Friday.Added: June 2014.
University of Oklahoma Student Newspapers
Organized in 1890 by the first territorial legislature of Oklahoma, the University of Oklahoma in Norman began its first school year on September 15, 1892, with fifty-seven students. Just five years later in 1897, the first student newspaper, the University Umpire, first appeared. The University of Oklahoma has a rich history of journalism and publishing that began just after the school began its first semester, and it continues to this day, 125 years later.Added: April 2021.
The Valley News was published in Pauls Valley, Garvin County by Hamm Print Company. It began in 1893 and publication ceased in February of 1904.Added: October 2013.
Newspapers, including the Oklahoma City Times (1968), and other items from Oklahoma collected for an Oklahoma Historical Society Vietnam War-era exhibit.Added: September 2017.
Barbara A. Wade Collection
Photographs taken by Ginter Studio, Murray Oliver, Don Simmons Studio, and others of Nu Vista Club debutante events from 1961 to 1984.Added: April 2019.
J. O. Walker Collection
Photographs from the Oklahoma Historical Society Research Division feature people, landscapes, and agricultural activities.Added: May 2019.
The Wanette Enterprise began publication in 1911 by L. E. Brewer and was issued each week.Added: May 2017.
William D. Welge Collection
Photographs include events and street scenes.Added: November 2019.
Robert L. Williams Collection
Photographs from the collection of Robert Lee Williams, first chief justice and third governor of the state of Oklahoma.Added: May 2019.
Mrs. Eva Jenkins Winter Collection
Photographs from the Oklahoma Historical Society Research Division feature people and buildings.Added: May 2019.
The Woodward Dispatch was first printed in 1900 and distributed every Friday. W. G. B. Baird and Oscar R. Kellogg first published and edited the Dispatch.Added: May 2015.
The Woodward News-Bulletin
Weekly newspaper from Woodward, Oklahoma Territory that includes local, territorial, and national news along with advertising.Added: June 2014.
Zions-Bote was a German newspaper established in Medford in 1885.Added: April 2017.