First Christian Church, Ardmore Page: 1 of 2
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Complete facilities for all ages on Maxwell Street.
” ■ ■■'.I.
New sanctuary dedicated last year.
For eighty years, First Christian Church of Ard-
more, Oklahoma, has been serving this community.
Organized in 1890, the progressive minded people
who have made up the congregation have looked for-
ward since that time. Through the years the congre-
gation has worshipped, first in a school house and
then in a series of four church buildings.
The first was a building located on a farm at
what is now the area between 4th Street, N.W., and
the south line on West Broadway. In 1913, the build-
ing facing West Broadway Street was dedicated. Find-
ing themselves land-locked, with no available property
SEEKING EDUCATION DIRECTOR AND YOUTH MINISTER - - -
First Christian Has Served for 80 Years
g J lor expansion, and parking problems becoming acute,
the congregation bought six acres of land on the site
where the church now stands. In 1962 the church
moved to the new building at 515 Maxwell. N.W.. and
worshipped in an Interim Sanctuary which was to be-
come a Fellowship Hall and Youth Center.
The beautiful Georgian Colonial Sanctuary was
completed and dedicated on Palm Sunday, 1969.
The dedicated people who have made up the
membership of First Christian Church have had
a deep and abiding faith in the future of Ard-
more. They felt, even before the coming of indus-
try to our community, that our city would grow.
Their deep concern was that the Church would be
ready for that growth with adequate youth fa-
cilities as well as education and worship facilities
that are second to none.
Now the church is engaged in finding a full time
Education Director and Youth Minister, believing that
we should be able to say to newcomers to Ardmore,
as well as those here without a church home, “We are
expecting you, and you are welcome.”
Our church is affiliated with the Christian
Church in Oklahoma (Disciples of Christ) as an
integral part of the Christian Church in the
United States and Canada (Disciples of Christ).
We are involved in the Ecumeniical Consultation
on Church Union with other major denomina-
Believing in, and adhering to the basic Disciple
doctrines, we make no tests of fellowship other than
a firm and dedicated belief that Jesus in the Christ,
the Son of the Living God, and our personal Savior.
Our method of baptism is by immersion.
Church School classes for all ages are held each
Sunday at 9:30 A.M. with Worship Services follow-
ing at 10:40 A.M. Wilbur M. Mix is minister.
A HEARTY WELCOME IS EXTENDED TO
Here’s what’s next.
This text can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Text.
First Christian Church, Ardmore, text, 2013; (https://gateway.okhistory.org/ark:/67531/metadc1626648/m1/1/: accessed October 20, 2020), The Gateway to Oklahoma History, https://gateway.okhistory.org; crediting Ardmore Public Library.