The Shawnee Daily Herald. (Shawnee, Okla.), Vol. 14, No. 292, Ed. 7 Tuesday, June 14, 1910 Page: 4 of 14
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
'INDUSTRIAL SHAWNEE 50,010 iNTttil*
Many Beautiful Churches Adorn the Forest City
Continued from page three
trustee® are: B. C. Finney, chairnun;
A. F. Gardner, secretary-treasurer; R.
V. Voorhoos, with A. F. Way land, J.
V. Downey, Wilson and W. E. Cald-
well members of toe board.
T'je Ladies Aid Society has a mem*
bershlp of 30 and It a strong factor
in the growth of the church. It*
prealdent is Mra. Sam Benhem, secre-
tary and treasurer, Mrs. W. E. Cald-
well. A flourshing Bpworth Laafue
of 30 members Is officered as follows:
President, Earl Goodwhi; vice presi
CHRISTIAN 8CIENCE CHURCH
It is fitting that the newest, of
creeds should find many adheren
in Oklahoma, newest of states, ami
that this is the case is proven by tli«
rapid growth of this new religion in
the southwest. The society in Shaw
nte was organized lu 1901. A rule
of the governing body of the Mother
church forbids the giving out t f data
. regarding the m«mber*hip. unle^a
dents, Mrs. R. V. Voorheee. L<ee Ba.ua- J specially authorised, anil for that rea
ders, Miss Clara King. Miss Olllejuon many farts of interest are neccs-
Shawnee from Missouri. He has
served the church only *inee April
of this year, and under his ministry
the church has experienced reneweil
to bring every member into some form
of church activity. One of the prac-
tical results of *hiR idea ib found in
the organization of tho Men's Broth
<rhootl. an organization composed of
the men in the church, the results of
which have already boen felt in the
church work. Its officers are ns fol-
lows: Presiden*. Jann'8 Cochrane;
vice president. Walter E Justice; sec
retary and treasurer, Kric Dow Blazer.
The present pastor of the church i , , ,
is the Rev. J. M. Broady. a native 0f j fevainod glass windows and perfec
Tennessee, and a graduate of Mary- Hfbtinf? arrangpnients. to
the city is rnorp beautiful than the
new edifice erected by the First Bap-
tist Church, a building that stands
in a < las by itself, not only as re-
gards Shawnee, but also tnroughout
Located at the corner of 10th and
Union streets, the new building is
truly a thing of beauty. It is mod-
ern in every particular, from ite im-
mense auditorium, with the beautiful
Matn, secretary, M1®s Ethel Main,
ireaaurer, Miss Hope Finicum.
Tht Rev. J. M. Clark, Patter.
The growth of the Central Presby-
terian Church bears eloquent testimo-
ny to the rapid development of Shaw
nee, the solidity of her growh and
the permanency of her future. Or-
ganized In 1908 with 13 charter mem-
bers. the church today posesse ons
of the most complete church buildings
in the city, erected at a cost, of $13.
1)00 and equipped with modern con-
veniences. From a handful of mem
bers it has yrown in 18 months to
a membership of 80, with more than
twice that number in affiliation with
4 he church, and its outlook for the
future is exceedingly bright.
Organized in the summer of 190S it
was without a pastor until December
of last year when the Rev. J. M.
Clark acceptad a call to serve the
congregation. Mr. Clark is a North
Carolinaian, being born in the Cape
Fear section of the state. He re
ceived his A. B. degree at Davidson
College, and was later graduated
from Union Theological eSminary of
Virginia. Prior to accepting the call
to Shawnee he served the Presbyte-
rian Church of Morristown, Tenn., as
pastor, for six years, resigning to
enter evangelistic work under the aus-
pices of the General Assembly of that
denomination. It was at the request
o fthat body that he accepted the call
to 8hawnee and the wisdom of the
change has been demonstrated by
the rapid growth of the church under
The congregation secursd temporary
quarters in the Superior Court room
in the City HaH, where
were held for over a year. The so-
ciety owned the lot now occupied by
the new church on which w s s
small cottage. This was utilized for
a time and an tggressive campaign
was started for a new church. The
building now occupied h«a-s a seating
capacity of 400 which can be in
creased to 600. The building is of
pressed brick, with beautiful Doric
columns. The bssement is used for a
Sunday School room, church parlors
for social gatherings, lavatories and
toilet rooms and every modern con-
venience found in modern up to date
The youngest church society in
Bhawnee.the Central Presbyterian has
made up in aggressivensese what it
foas lacked in years and numbers.
The Sunday School under the effi
cient leadership of Superintendent Dr.
A. L. Austin, assisted by A. J
Fluke, has a present enrollment of
125. and no branch of the church Is
showing a steadier growth. The El-
ders of the church are the follow-
ing: A. J. Fluke, Dr. W. L. Austin,
Prof. W. W Cunningham. The Dea
cons are Kib H. Warren and W. B.
Much of the success that has mark
ed the work of the society is due
In no small measure to the Indies'
Aid Society, which Lss been sn Ira
poclant factor In growth of the
church. The officers are as follows .
(President, Mrs. J. M. Hamilton; sec-
retary, Mrs. J. M. Clark; treasurer,
Mrs. W. H. Parker. The Woman's
Missionary Society has the following
officers: President, Mrs. J. G. Row
land; secretary, Mrs. A. L. Austin;
treasurer, Mrs. Kib Warren.
A recent organization that prom
toes much In aggressive church work
1s the Presbyterian Brotherhood, a
aosiety !n which s large number of
the men of the church are enrolled
Its officers are as follows: President,
A. J. Fluke; secretary, W. B. Ror-
•chach; treasurer, J. S. Ramsey.
sarlly omitted from this sketch
The society has had a steady and
permanent growth, Carnegie Hali be-
ing used as toeir place for holding
Sunday services. The First Reader-
is Mrs. Eugenia Reasor. Second
Reader, Mrs. Kate A. Pierson. The
Sunday whool superintendent is Mrs.
The Christian Science church main-
tains a literary bureau and books
pertaining to the cult are placed by
them In Carnegie library Headquar-
ters are in the room adjoining th-?
assembly hall In the library and vis-
itors are always welcome.
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.
The Rev. J. M. Broady, Psator.
A city that boosts of but fifteen
years of life cannot point to any vary
ancient "land marks. " but it is signi-
ficant of the material out of which
grew the present city of Shawnee that
co-incident with the settlement of the
town there srose. almost immediately,
the various churches that are now the
pride of the city.
Along with the "pioneers" is the
society of the First Presbyterian
Church. Organized May 17, 1905, it
can boast its lineage and point to
itself as one of the "early settlers."
As with the other churches that lo-
cated here in the early days, its be-
ginnings were final, and its early his-
story is a story of devotion and sacri-
fice. of hard work and iIip courage
out of which history is made The
first pastor was the Rev. William T.
King. The present church building
was erected shortly after his coming,
and the church has grown with the
With a present membership of 300
the society has long since outgrown
the little church that so long served
as the church home, and plans are
now being made for a new building
that will reflect the needs and growth
of the church. A building committee
composed of the following members of
the church has the matter in hand:
ville college His pastorate prior to
locating in Shawnee was at Gibson
City, 111. Mr. Hroady is a young man.
a successful pastor and a fine preach-
er. and brings to his new charge qual-
ities that will find expression in a
brosder and more successful work
than the church has known in its his-
ST. BENEDICT'S ROMAN CATH-
The Rev. Father Blaise, Rector.
Away back when Shawnee was
called Shawnestown; when the pres-
ent city was a hamlet and when the
larger part of the handful of Catholics
were Indians ministered to by the
Benedictine Brothers of the Sacred
Heart, the present society was organ
ment. Sunday School rooms, private
rooms for committee meetings and
modern conveniences that place it
in a class by itself.
It is fortunate, or unfortunate, ac-
cording to the point of view, that
there has never been but one church[
in Shawnee of the Baptist denom:-,
nation, and the resulting strength is |
8no memberi, a beautiful church
building, and a cburcn Sunday School I
and other societies that arc made
strong by numbers as well as individ-
The society was organized about
1895 with 10 or 12 members. For
several years the members met at the
homes of the different, members, and
later. In the summer, held their meet-
ings in a brush arbor on South Bell
s reet. A little later, the Rev. W.
!.. Chandler served the society, and
ibed. In 189.H, shortly after the rail-1 meetings were held in a large taber-
road entered the then small town, the
Rev. Felix DdGrasse of the Sacred
Heart organized the society, and in
August 1895 several lots were pur-
chased. A few months later a small
chapel was built and was used as both
church and Parochial school, taught
by the Sisters of Mercy.
From this time forward the church
grew rapidly, and demanded the en-
tire time of Father DeGrasse and an
assistant. During the next few years
there were several changes in the
pastorate until the spring of 1903
when the Rev. Father Blaise was ap-
pointed rector and under his ministra-
tion the work has gone forward un-
til the present writing
The need of a new church to meet
the demands of the rapidly growing
congregation was very urgent, and
several efforts had been made to ac-
complish this much desired end. In
March, 1904, a new site was pur-
chased and on this was erected a
parish house and here the old church
was moved. The foundations of the
new church were laid about this time,
but the poverty of the people made
further progress impossible. It was
not till 1905 that measures were tak-
en to complete the raising of the nec-
essary funds, the work ii\ charge of a
committee consisting of the rector and
his assistant. Father Zoeller. and the
following members of the parish: M.
uade tent during the summer months
Shortly aftpr that a church was erec-
ted which served the congregation un-
til 1909. when the present beautiful
building was commenced. A building
committee composed of the following
men was placed in charge of the
work: J. A. Walker, W. R Branch. J.
I j. Ford. R N. .larrell, W. F. Skelton.
.1. F. Smith, Thomas Taylor. To
;.hese men and to the Rev. L. C.
Wolfe, the then pastor of the church,
was entrusted the task of raising the
necessary funds for trie erection of
this building, the cost of which was
close to |40,000
The Rev. L. C. Wolfe after serving
the church for nearly six years, re-
signed in the fall of 1909 and was
succeeded by the Rev. John Roberts
Jester. D. 1>., president of the State
Baptist College, at Blackwell. Okla
lioma. Dr. e.Jster is a native of Geor-
gia. was educated at Mercer Univer-
sity and the Southern Baptist Theo-
logical Seminary, and ranks as one
of the strong men of toe denomina-
tion in the southwest. Under his ef-
fective ministry the church is growing
The board of trustees Is as follows;
J. L. Ford, chairman; Marshall Nel-
son, W. F. Skelton. J. A. Walker,
Thomas Taylor. The board of dea-
cons is as follows: N. H. Adams.
UNITED MSTHMN CHURCH
Tha Rev. J. H. Atklsaon, pastor.
The Importance of a church In the
community is not always to be guag-
ed by lta relative strength either in
numbers or wealth. Some of the
most effective work is dons by the
small churches that by their lack of
alzs are abfo to keep in cloasr touch
with their oongregstlons.
The church Of the United Breth-
ren in Christ, to give it its full ti-
tle, located at east 9th and Centerr
streets is one of the smaller churches
but in the few years *ince its or-
ganizatlon the work dot* by it has
fully Justified its existence. if justi-
fication were needed. It was organ-
ized about 1895 by tha Ret. W. O.
Adsms, and the present church
building was erected the following
year.. In 1909 the congregation
erected the cosy little parsonage ad
joining the chureh, now occnupled
by the pastor, the Rev. J. H. Atkls-
The church has a membership of
60, and a Sunday school of 4&
70. with F. H. Shsnnoo as snuperlr.-
tendent. The trustees are the fol
lowing; F. H. Shannon, D. A. Gul-
den. F. L. Scott, Albert Richards and
J. A. Wallace. The Ladles' Aid So-
ciety haa the following officers:
Mrs. D. A. Gulden, president; Mrs.
Lillle Hunt, sscretary; Mrs. Funic 1
Godwin, treasurer. The junior Chr
tian Endeavor hss ths following u
'icers; Winnie McDowell, presided
Gladys Atkinson, secretary; Wayne
The present pastor of the church
is a native of Indian*, and cans to
The New First Baptist Church, Shawnee, Oklahoma
W. S. Search. C. W. Cook and D. H.
Gilmore. The old building has been
Bold and a new lot purchased, located
on the corner of Eleventh and Beard
•treets where it la proposed to erect
a church to coat It! the neighborhood
of $30,000 and $40,000.
The alders of the church ar the fol-
lowing; Willard Johnston. W. S.
C. Fleming. J. J. Stinsou. .lake Mohr-
bacher. J. .1 Bradley and R. VI. Hagar.
Only July 2Hth, I9W. the cornerstone
of the present beautiful edifice waa
laid and the church hastened to com-
The new church which was dedlcs
ted on May 12. 1007, is a monument to
the devotion of the pariah, and is one
Search. E O- Smiley. F..A. Brown. Dr. of the finest owned by this denomina-
■T. A. Wetls. F B. Payne. S. C. 1-on
don. The Sunday school has pown
rapidly, having at the present time an
enrollment of 200 with an average at-
tendance of 150. The officers of the
8unda; school are the following:
F. E Heckertborn, superintendent;
Dr. J. A. Wells, assistant superintend-
ent, Edgar Garrlion. secretary; Miss
Edith Uaugherty, treasurer.
The trustees of the church are the
following: C. W Cook, president ; II.
CI. Neweomb. treasurer, and .1. II
W'ahl, secretary. together with the fol-
(owing: F. E Heckertborn, f. \V.
Boggs. F. W. Christner. E. Dahlinger,
D, H. Gilmore and K. C. McNeil Tlio
Ladles' Aid Society hss Ihe follow-
Ing ros.er of officers: President. Mrs.
J. B. A If ord: secertary and treasurer,
Mr«. G. A. Streeter.
The Woman's Missionary Society Is
oclcered as follows; President. Mrs.
officered as follows: President, Mrs.
L. C Blston and Mrs. B. M. Pierce;
secretary and treasurer. Mrs E. O.
Smith; secretary of literature. Mm. E.
C. McNeil; assistant secretary of lit-
erature, Mra. Frank Boggs. The ac-
tivity of the young people In ihe
church finds expression In a live
Chrlitian Endeavor Society, whose
numbers are rapidly growing, with the
following officers: President, Miss
Anna Myera; secretary. Miss Eula An-
derson; corresponding secretary. Miss
Myrtle Nicholson; treasurer. Edgar
The First Presbyterian Is a working
Hon in Oklahoma, Its cost «as he
tween $i'o,000 and $30,000. There are
about 20U families belonging to tho
parish, bringing the list or communi-
cants to between 800 and lOOn people.
The Parochial school has an attend-
ance of 200 aud is taught by four
Pistcis of Mercy from the convent ol
the Sacred Heart, the Mother House
of which Is In Oklahoma City. To
the work of these faithful women has
been due tho high standards main-
tained and the steady growth of the
school. The present bulldlvg is in-
adequate to meet, tho needs of the
school and a new building is planned
which it is hoped may be erected In
the near future.
The seven years thai have passed
since the coming of Father Blaise a:e
years of rapid growth, both In ma-
terial things and in a large accession
to the congregation which he serves.
A native of France,'a member of the
Benedictine order. Father Blaise has
brought to his adopted country a zeal
and lntelllgeuco thai has made him
dear to his congregation and has had
much to do with the rapid growth of
THE FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH.
The Rev. John R. Jester, D. D. Pastor
Shawnee of the present day boasts
some beautiful public buildings, and
the number of tine churches Is being
added to with great rapidity. But It
church, systematic effort* being made! U safe to_s / thai no bulldiug ln[aej ,i leader of the flFunt)ean «
chairman: J. C. Askew, J. M. Crabb,
.1 L. Ford, Julius Greenlee, G. C.
Halley, L,. Lake, Marshall Nelson,
W. P. Skelton. .1. F. Smith, Thomas
Taylor, \V. B. Taylor.
lie Finance Committee of the
chureh Is as follows: .1, L. Ford, eh'n;
N. H. Adams, A. M. Baker, R B.
Crosse, Julius Greenlee, G. C. Halley,
.'. n. Hatrhet-, Charles Higgins, S.
W. Howard. B. X. .larrell, John Lar-
son, ,1. A. McKellar. George E. Me-
Kinnls, W. F. Skelton, J. F Smith,
Thomas, Taylor, \V. B. Taylor, J. A.
Walker. The church clerk is G. C.
Halley; church treasurer, W. H. Wil-
liams, with Miss Eula Basham. organ-
A splendid Sunday School, under
the effective superintendence of W.
F. Skelton, assisted by ,\ H. Adams,
has an enrollment of ton.
The school lias been thoroughly
graded and the organization Is a
most effective one. The following are
the officers. Secretary. Frank Small;
F, M. Young, superintendent primary
department: Rodger Wolfe, asalit&nt
secretary; N .1 Brown, treasurer;
George E. .McKinnls, leader Neleou
Bible class"; Miss Bell l^araon, or-
ganlst: Miss Offie Lane, assistant or-
The women in the church are thor-
oughly organized and much of the
effectiveness of the church in religi-
ous and other lines is due to the t«-
rloua societies through which tehlr
activities are directed. The Ladies'
Aid Society has as prealdent Mrs. W.
G. Dixon; the preildeut of the Wo-
man's Missionary Society is Mrs. W.
R Branch; the Young Ladles' Society
has as president .Miss Lutie Halley:
Mrs. W. R„ Branch Is leader of the
B. Y. P !'.. and Mrs James S. Run
THE SHA WNEE
The Vivian Wire Fence Co.'s New $100,000 Plant
Contractor's for Edward Kloepfer's new res-
idence at 720 North Market Street. This beauti-
ful home is 28x36 feet, two floors, nine rooms
and of the most modern conveniences through-
out; finishing in white marble effect.
We are. at all times, glad to figure
with prospective builders and will
cheerfully ^furnish estimates on all
kinds of construction, whether Bridge^,
Business Blocks, Residences, Founda-
tions, Engine Beds, Paving, Curbing,
Driveways, Retaining Walls, Porch
Floors, Columns or Sidewalks.
Tile, Mantle and Marble
Work a Specialty
S. At. Riddl*, E. W. Moore,
Pretident Sac'y and Tna*.
'• «• 4 JSmgbtw
■tuu 11 '*
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Newspaper.
Harlow, Victor E. The Shawnee Daily Herald. (Shawnee, Okla.), Vol. 14, No. 292, Ed. 7 Tuesday, June 14, 1910, newspaper, June 14, 1910; Shawnee, Oklahoma. (gateway.okhistory.org/ark:/67531/metadc104653/m1/4/: accessed February 17, 2019), The Gateway to Oklahoma History, gateway.okhistory.org; crediting Oklahoma Historical Society.