Explore by Collections
The Beaver County Democrat was published from 1906 until 1912 by Beaver Publishing Company. It was published on a weekly basis, every Thursday. The Beaver County Democrat was succeeded by the Forgan Enterprise [LCCN sn 93066072]. It claimed to be the only democratic newspaper in Beaver County, and proudly printed that on each title page of each issue. Fred C. Tracy and W.H. Willrcue served as editors. A subscription for one year of the paper was one dollar in advance and fifty cents for six months
Our Brother in Red was an Indian and religious newspaper. The motto read “Christian Education the Hope of the Indian.” An alternative title to Our Brother in Red was Indian Methodist. It was published in Muskogee, Indian Territory, Oklahoma beginning in 1882. It was also published in Ardmore, Oklahoma in 1897 and in McAlester, Oklahoma in 1898.
The Cheyenne Transporter was published in Darlington, near present day El Reno, Oklahoma. The Cheyenne-Arapaho Agency printed the first issue on December 5, 1879. The four-page 5 1/2 by 7 1/2-inch, semimonthly paper was notable on two accounts: it was the first newspaper published in what became Oklahoma Territory and one of the few publications ever issued at an Indian agency.
The Cimarron News, or Cimarron Valley News, was a weekly first printed in Kenton in 1898. It was issued every Friday and had four pages with three columns and measured 15 by 22 inches. Louis A. Wilkoff was editor and publisher and kept the paper independent in politics. A subscription cost one dollar and twenty-five cents each year, and by 1907 there were 255 patrons to The Cimarron News. The paper ended in 1930 when the name changed to The Boise City News.
Owned and edited by E.F. Widner, the Crescent City Courier debuted on January 12, 1894. With an annual subscription cost of one dollar, Volume 1, Number 1, of the Courier consisted of four, five-column pages, measuring 13 inches by 20 inches. The newspaper endeavored to “induce immigration” to Crescent City and vicinity, and to aid the local economy by attracting business and industry.
The Cushing Democrat was published by the Green Print Company starting in 1906 on a weekly basis. The tabloid lasted until 1912 when it was converted to The Cushing Citizen. The Cushing Citizen was founded in 1907 by Green Publishing Company in Cushing, Oklahoma. The Cushing Independent was a weekly newspaper that was published from 1901 until 1918. It was a four-page, seven-column newspaper that favored Republican politics.
The Daily Ardmoreite first appeared on October 28, 1893, in Ardmore, Carter County. Established by several local businessmen, the Ardmoreite was the first daily newspaper published in Indian Territory. It was just another small community newspaper in the Chickasaw Nation until Sidney Suggs purchased it in June of 1897, for $2,400. Under his direction, the Ardmoreite became the leading news provider in Indian Territory.
The Anadarko Daily Democrat debuted in Anadarko, Oklahoma Territory on September 30, 1901, with Preston P. Shaw and Russell Monroe listed as publishers. The newspaper was issued daily except Sundays. It was 15 by 22 inches with eight pages of six columns. Always called, “The Official Paper of Anadarko.”, the Democrat changed names and publishers several times in its 14-year life span.
The Eldorado Courier was published and edited by James Edwin Kelly in 1903 on a weekly basis. James Edwin Kelly purchased the original Eldorado Courier in 1903 and combined it with Eldorado Light to make up the current periodical. The Eldorado Courier is still being printed to this day in Eldorado, Oklahoma.
The Enid Daily Eagle was published from 1901 until 1989 in Enid, Garfield County, Oklahoma. It began in September of 1901 and was published on a daily basis with the exception of Saturdays and Sundays by Eagle Printing and Publishing Company. Weekly editions are the Enid Eagle (1901-1905) and Enid Weekly Eagle (1905-~1908). Daily editions are The Enid Daily Eagle and the Enid Eagle.
The Granite Enterprise was published by James Scarborough in 1900 on a weekly basis. It was a four-page, five-column newspaper measuring at 13 by 20 inches. It was published every Friday with J. W. Ryder as managing editor of the newspaper. The subscription cost one dollar per year in advance and the paper did not support any political parties when it was first founded.
Founded originally as The Gayly Oklahoman in 1983, now operating as the Gayly, this regional newspaper is the premier and most trusted source of news for LGBT and straight allies in the south central United States. The Gayly covers LGBT community topics and events as well as things throughout the state of Oklahoma and surrounding region. The Gayly newspaper is published by RD-T Media.
The Hobart Daily Democrat was owned and published by N. B. Crumpacker beginning in 1906. It started on October 8, 1906 and was published daily, with the exception of Sundays. It was preceded by The Hobart Daily News-Republican [LCCN sn96093219]. Hobart Weekly Chief was published from 1902 until 1909 in Hobart, Kiowa County, Oklahoma. Its banner claimed it was the official paper of Kiowa county, as well as the official paper of the city of Hobart, Oklahoma.
The Hobart Republican was published from 1901-1902. It began on August 6, 1901. Its geographic coverage included Hobart, Kiowa County, Oklahoma. It was published on a weekly basis by Edmund W. Kimber. Preceding titles include Kiowa County Herald [LCCN sn 35966048 ] and the Mt. View Republican [LCCN sn 35966499] and succeeding titles include The Hobart News Republican [LCCN sn 35966109].
Hooker Advance began February 19, 1904. It was a predominately Republican newspaper, edited and published by Jesse S. Moffitt. It was a four page paper, measuring 17 by 24 inches that utilized patent sheets. J. Henry Shields served as editor when Moffitt was absent. The building and press for the _Hooker Advance were both destroyed by a fire in June of 1908 that destroyed over half of the business district of the town of Hooker.
The Indian Advocate was published by the Benedictine order at the Sacred Heart Abbey in Indian Territory, near present day Shawnee. Father D. Ignatius, the second and last of the Prefect Apostolics in Oklahoma, established the Indian Advocate in 1888. The prospectus stated “The object of this quarterly review is the progress of civilization in the Indian Territory, by promoting the spiritual as well as the temporal welfare of the Indian race… It will appear in January, April, July and October, to plead the cause of the last remnants of the Indian tribes, and of the Benedictine Missionaries, who have consecrated their life to the evangelization of these Children of the Wilderness.”
The Indian Chieftain, one of the largest and most influential newspapers in the Cherokee Nation, was established on September 22, 1882, at Vinita, in Craig County, Indian Territory. The 8-column, 4-page weekly was committed to the interests of all Five Civilized Tribes. Its motto read, “Devoted to the Interests of the Cherokees, Choctaws, Chickasaws, Seminoles, Creeks, and Other Indians of the Indian Territory.”
The Stroud Star was a publication serving the town of Stroud, Oklahoma from 1898 to 1907. In 1907 the Stroud Star and Lincoln County Journal joined together to make one publication for the town of Stroud. The publication lasted until an unknown date in 1910 and was converted into The Stroud Democrat.
The Langston City Herald debuted on May 2, 1891, as the first weekly African American newspaper in Oklahoma Territory. The Herald was a paramount promoter of African American homesteading in the territory. It circulated throughout the South, including parts of Arkansas, Florida, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, and Texas. Because of its widespread readership, the Herald was vital to the settlement of blacks in Oklahoma.
Newspapers published in Mangum, Oklahoma. The Star merged with several other titles during its long run. Titles include: The Mangum Star [LCCN sn96087859, sn96087869, sn96087875, sn96087934], Mangum Weekly Star [LCCN sn96087860], The Magnum Mirror [LCCN sn96087877], The Mangum Daily Star [LCCN sn96087873, sn96087933], The Mangum Star and Southwest Eagle [LCCN sn96087871]. In 1974 the Mangum Star merged with The Greer County News.
The Medford Star was published in Medford, Grant County, Oklahoma from the 1890s until 1913. Its geographic coverage included Gibbon, Grant County, Oklahoma as well as Medford, Grant County, Oklahoma. It was published by F. Bowser, and alternative titles included Gibbon Flyer and Medford Star and Tri-County Index.
The Norman Transcript was first published in July, 1889. Editor, publisher, and owner Ed P. Ingle put a claimed a business lot on present day West Main and Santa Fe. In his salutary editorial in the first issue, Ingle explained the newspaper's mission as being dedicated to the progression of Norman as well as the prosperity of the residents.
The Oklahoma City Times first appeared December 29, 1888. Hamlin Whitmore Sawyer was editor-publisher and B. R. Harrington worked as reporter. The first issues had to be printed in a neighboring state, because it was illegal for non-Indians to establish a business within the Oklahoma Territory. The Oklahoma City Times continued until 1984. It was then incorporated into the Daily Oklahoman and ceased publication.
The weekly Oklahoma Farmer, the "One Down-to-Date Farm Paper of Oklahoma and Ind. Terr.," was established at Guthrie, Oklahoma Territory, in 1890. Edited by Frank H. Greer, president and manager of the Farmer Publishing Company, the newspaper was "Devoted to Agriculture, Horticulture, and Livestock."
The Oklahoma Miner was established on February 28, 1912, in Krebs, Pittsburg County, Oklahoma. The Democratic weekly was published by Ed Boyle and managed by Bert Marcum. The paper consisted of five columns and eight pages of local and national news. On September 18, 1913, Marcum took over the publication. Four years later, J. J. Heathcock took over proprietorship. The Miner was the only newspaper at the time serving the almost 3,000 residents of the mining town.
The Oklahoma Publishing Company Photography Collection features over 70,000 photographs spanning a period of over 100 years. The company is the parent company of the Oklahoman newspaper (formerly the Daily Oklahoman) as well as the Oklahoma Times and the Oklahoma Farmer-Stockman. The collection features a wide variety of photographs taken for stories in the newspapers.
Ralston Independent, also known as the Independent, began on December 1, 1910 in Ralston, Pawnee County, Oklahoma. It was the successor to the New Era [LCCN sn94058758] and was published every Thursday until April 5, 1912, when it changed to every Friday (Vol. 7, no. 50). It was a four to eight page, five- to six-column paper that could be purchased for one dollar for a year.
The Searchlight was published by James Kirkwood twice a week—on Tuesdays and Fridays. It was the “official organ of the Oklahoma Anti-Horse Thief Ass’n.” A subscription could be purchased for eighty cents for a year of the newspaper. It was also the official paper of the Oklahoma-Indian Territory State Association, as well as the official paper of the Sheriff’s Association of Oklahoma.
The Sentinel News-Boy was published from 1904 until 1910 in Sentinel, Washita County, Oklahoma. Will W. Hornbeck served as publisher. He also co-owned the Sentinel Town Site & Realty Company which bought and sold real estate, loaned money and provided insurance to the people of Sentinel, Oklahoma. The Sentinel Leader, the successor to Sentinel News-Boy, was published from 1910 to present on a weekly basis. In 1910, it was a twelve-page, five-column newspaper put out by Sentinel Printing Company.
The Tulsa Star came into being in 1912 as the Muskogee Star. The Star was a staunchly Democratic African-American paper in an era when Republican ideals reigned over black communities. It began life as a weekly transitioning to a daily at some point after editor and publisher Andrew Jackson Smitherman moved the paper to Tulsa in 1913. Also known as the Tulsa Daily Star, the paper championed African-American causes, promoting progress and stability within Tulsa's black community until its dramatic and untimely demise following the race riot of May 31, 1921.
Tyrone Observer began May 5, 1904 in Tyrone, Oklahoma. It was published every Friday, and a subscription could be purchased for one dollar for a year of the newspaper. In 1904, its banner read “Uphold the Principles of the Republican Party and Thereby Foster and Develop the Wonderful Resources of Tyrone and Beaver County.” (Vol. 1 No. 26).